How many times do you get to the end of a busy day and wonder what on earth you are going to have for dinner? You kick off your shoes, flick through the channels on TV, then decide to order a takeaway.
I get it. It takes EFFORT to walk into the kitchen and open the fridge door. Maybe you haven’t yet got round to stock up the fridge this week, or that limp looking lettuce on the bottom shelf isn’t filling your senses with joy. Maybe you never really developed a good relationship to food so the idea of actually cooking terrifies the life out of you.
Allow me to let you into a little secret. If you want to be healthy, slim, beautiful (with fantastic soft and glowing skin), and boost your bodies natural ability to fight off disease and illness, you NEED to rethink your eating habits. Full Stop!!
Eating healthy is NOT and does NOT have to be hard work, boring, dull or a terrifying notion. You do NOT have to be a top chef or understand the difference between a blender and a food processor and you absolutely do NOT need a science degree in nutrition to eat well.
Even if you ‘think’ your pre packed, ready meals and pre made salads are brilliant for weight loss and time management, think again.
Follow these quick tips to change how you look at ‘cooking’ so that you can begin to transform your mind, body and outlook permanently.
Firstly, ask yourself why you HATE cooking. Is it that you never learned or just can’t be bothered with the mess, washing up or preparation that goes with it? Do you believe that you don’t have time to cook? Or that your efforts always end up tasting terrible?
All those pre-prepared meals that you think have been carefully cooked so that you can enjoy great food with little fuss are actually filled with preservatives and added chemical ingredients in order for them to survive the process of transportation, sitting on shelves and in freezers for weeks on end. Even healthy labeled foods contain ingredients that are anything BUT healthy. Low fat products are usually supplemented with SUGAR. Sugar as we know, makes you FAT. The irony!!
Creating a salad from scratch is so simple and takes less time than stabbing holes in a plastic tray and nuking it on max power in the microwave for 10-15 minutes.
Think of ingredients you like, then put them all together in a bowl. This is an effortless way to create a healthy, instant salad bowl meal that you know you will like.
AND – buy a knife. Seriously, to eat healthy you need nothing other than the ability to chop things up. It’s therapeutic. Just imagine that tomato is your bosses HEAD, or that cucumber is that boy racer that cut you up in the car park. Chop Chop Chop.
To create a quick and easy bowl meal (with NO cooking involved) –
- Go to the fresh produce isle in your favourite supermarket and grab some vegetables that you like. No one is going to tell you what to eat so this is purely up to you. (For instance, I love celery, carrots, avocado, tomatoes, spring onions and spinach and they make great ingredients for any salad base – I keep these in my fridge every week).
- Chop up your chosen veg and put them all into a bowl.
- Grab a handful of nuts or seeds (of your choice) and pop into the same bowl.
- Pop in some chicken, fish or feta cheese or what ever else you like
- Sprinkle on a little olive oil, black pepper, sea salt, garlic powder and maple syrup and mix all ingredients together.
This will take you around 5 minutes MAX and you can mix and match your ingredients daily depending on your mood. You will get all your daily protein and vitamins in one go and we didn’t even turn on the oven.
Will keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days and you can even have the leftovers for lunch the next day. What’s not to love about that?
If you like a good curry –
- Grab an onion, some mushrooms, pre cooked meat (of your choice), a tin of tomatoes, some coconut oil and some curry powder
- Chop up the onion and mushrooms and pop into a big frying pan with the other ingredients.
- Cook on high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Job done. What’s so hard about that?
- Serve with bread, rice or naan bread – whatever you like.
Or, if you like pizza, try the following –
- Grab a wholegrain tortilla wrap
- Spread over some tomato puree
- Sprinkle with sliced mushrooms, goats cheese, tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, onions and pretty much whatever you love the most.
- Season well with black pepper and a few herbs (the dried versions are just as good as fresh)
- Pop in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the toppings are melted, hot and crispy.
No added sugar, salt, preservatives or hidden FAT.
Having a poor relationship to food will in the end create seriously illness in your body. This is a fact that none of us can escape. Oh you might believe that you can eat what you like because you don’t ever seem to get fat, OR you are already fat so what’s the point in fighting it, but I can honestly tell you now that if you have a fear of cooking or preparing meals yourself from scratch, you will be sick, one day. And that is a promise I can certainly make you.
Processed and pre made foods and FULL of rubbish ingredients that your body will fight against until it is too sick to care anymore. If you have been battling with your weight for a while, try changing your cooking mentality and prepare meals in your own kitchen, yourself!!